Monday, November 23, 2009

Friends & Ships
"Tell me who your friends are. And I'll tell you who you are."
Lately, I've been thinking about my friends and our friendships..
I remember when it was freshman year: everyone was friends with everyone, it was so fun and chill. Then by senior year there were little cliques and you only had your close friends to really depend on.

It's pretty much still that way for me. But I've gotten to the point where I choose who I want to be around and get close to because I know that the people I'm around and that surround me, influence me even in my subconscious. It's kind of scary and funny and a little embarrassing when I catch myself doing something that one of my friends would've done or said. Yet, isn't imitation the best form of flattery?

The best thing about friendships is when, and I only have this with a handful of my friends,
I can call them any time of the day or night, and they'll be there. And our conversation just flows, we talk about anything and everything and nothing all at once. Even if we haven't talked for long periods of time, when I catch up with them, it's like no time has passed.

It just makes me sad when I grow apart from friends and our friendship fades. I feel like a part of me sort of faded away too. Like the old saying goes, it takes two to tango; one friend can't always be the one calling, texting, myspacing, facebooking, webcamming or whatever -ing when the other friend doesn't even reciprocate. It makes for a one-sided friendship, where it's easy for people to say "let it go" "just drop them" but I never want to be the one that gave up. I'll just leave them be, give them time and continue our friendship when they're ready.

I care more for QUALITY with friends, than quantity.. So I had to let some friendships go because I realized the cons far out weighed the pros, especially when being around them wasn't fun anymore, more forced.. And that it was better to set sail on different ships of independence. lame.. i know. i just wanted to make it match the title.